Area Development Manager – Technical
Location: KwaZulu-Natal and South Africa
Sector: Forestry and General
Contract Type: Permanent
Sappi Southern Africa requires an Area Development Manager – Technical to promote, co-ordinate and facilitate the identification and development of technological solutions for Harvesting and Silviculture to best optimise the available resources in the KZN Region.
This role reports in to the General Manager Forests KZN
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Manage and guide implementation of ISO9001 (Quality Management System), ISO14001 (Environmental Management Standards), Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) and OHSAS18001 (Health and Safety Management System) in Development projects to meet compliance standards.
- Oversee Fire Risk Management and ensure effective protection of people, plantation & other assets from forest fires through fire contract negotiation and stakeholder engagement.
- Drive the integration of Harvesting and Silviculture operations by liaising with external research bodies and suppliers and makes recommendations to Forestry Operational staff at all levels
- Liaise and collaborate with various stakeholders to establish and manage ideas for technical innovation. Communicate these ideas to management team and Contractor Leadership Forums. Establish a Technical Review Forum.
- Develop and standardise Silviculture and Harvesting equipment as well as the co—ordination and modernisation thereof by liaising with various stakeholders
- Liaises with the research division for the maintenance of strategic trials and the updating of data by ensuring operational compliance and routine follow-ups.
- Continually review and update Risk Management System procedures and standards and communicate new and revised information to the various stakeholders.
- Maintain a quality measurement and reporting system and communicate these to the Forestry Area Operational Staff.
- Engage with auditors to moderate and ensure divisional conformity to Technical Standards. Highlights non-conformances identified during field visits to the Business Manager and management team through a systematic communication structure which includes reports, photographs and samples.
- Lead the negotiation of sustainable rates for new contracts and annual rate increases with Contractors and Suppliers. Inform the Business Manager so that various management systems can be updated with the negotiated rates.
- Participate and give technical input into Three/Five year tenders and assist in the evaluation of tenders and allocation of contracts
- Attends Extension and Research meetings to consult and provide recommendations from a Technical Forestry Operational perspective
- Attend relevant Steering Committee Meetings in a technical capacity and action and report on items raised.
- Manage and oversee the recruitment, recognition, performance management, remuneration, development and discipline of the Development team.
- Liaises with Provincial Roads departments, Sappi Logistics Department and Forestry Department to obtain cross funding and ensure operational alignment
The ideal candidate should have:
- NQF 6 Diploma in Forestry, Agriculture or Horticulture
- NQF 7 Degree in Forestry or related disciplines would be preferred
- At least 7 years relevant experience
- Valid code EB driver’s license
Closing Date: 27th September 2019
To apply for this job please visit the Sappi website HERE