Forester – Creighton (Kokstad)
Location: KwaZulu-Natal and South Africa
Contract Type: Permanent
Responsible for day to day management of all silviculture, fire protection, harvesting and related forestry activities on Draaikloof and Montevideo farms (Braecroft farms). This role will ensure optimal growth and quality of timber resources , and implement measures to minimize health and safety risk and environmental impact. Responsible for maintenance of all farm based vehicles and equipment
- Implement silviculture program for Draaikloof and Montevideo farms as agreed with Forestry manager , including program for eradication of alien vegetation
- Manage fire protection activities on Draaikloof and Montevideo farms, and other Braecroft Farms when required. Ensure all fire breaks are timeously prepared and completed
- Ensure necessary maintenance and upkeep of all plant and equipment on Draaikloof and Montevideo farm, with particular reference to all vehicles and equipment ,new roads , labour housing and workshop complex
- Contribute towards development of professional forestry contractor and staff compliment on Draaikloof and Montevideo farms
- Ensure a safe working environment, by enforcing compliance with effective Health and Safety practices.
- Ensure compliance with best practice environmental standards, including FSC accreditation.
- Enhance good image of Braecroft Timbers, by fostering a relationship of trust and cooperation with neighbors and local communities.
- Manage Harvesting related issues with Harvesting Contractors ie implementation of Harvesting plans, checking all utilizable timber extracted , Environmental compliance , Health and safety Compliance and accounting of timber volumes harvested. Regular communication required with harvesting Contractors. Ensure all required harvesting documentation (ie Tally sheets) is submitted timeously
- Develop working relationship with all local service providers
Required Qualification, Experience and Skills
- Essential – Matric or equivalent
- A tertiary forestry/agriculture qualification
- A tertiary qualification in maintenance / mechanical studies
- More than 5 years forestry experience on plantation level, covering supervision of silviculture, fire protection and timber harvesting activities. Strong working mechanical knowledge of Forestry specific vehicles and equipment would be an advantage
Skills and knowledge:
- In depth knowledge of silviculture methods and operations,
- Timber harvesting processes, fire protection, basic health and safety vital.
- Ability to deal with contractors on operational level also necessary.
- Hands on approach to basic maintenance of company assets (buildings and equipment) is critical
- Ability to work with labour and get results.
- Basic computer skills desirable
Closing Date: 31 August 2019
To apply for this job please click on the link above or below
Brambles companies, including CHEP, help move more goods to more people, in more places than any other organisation on earth. Our 330 million pallets, crates and containers are continuously in motion, forming the invisible backbone of the global supply chain and the world’s biggest brands trust us to help them transport their goods more efficiently, sustainably and safely. As pioneers of the sharing economy, Brambles created one of the world’s most sustainable logistics businesses through the share and reuse of its platforms under a model known as ‘pooling’. Brambles primarily serves the fast-moving consumer goods (e.g. dry food, grocery, and health and personal care), fresh produce, beverage, retail and general manufacturing industries. The Group employs more than 10,000 people and operates in over 60 countries with its largest operations in North America and Western Europe. For further information, please visit www.brambles.com
Brambles and CHEP provide you unparalleled opportunities to advance and accelerate your career. You’ll be joining an international growth organization with a pioneering, circular business model. You’ll be working for a company that is changing the way goods get to market. You’ll become part of an efficient and collaborative global team making a real contribution to a smarter, more sustainable future. For more on how Brambles growth companies can accelerate your career, visit https://careers.brambles.com/