Occupational Health Nurse Practitioner
Location: KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Contract Type: Permanent
CHEP is a global leader in supply chain logistics employing more than 14,000 people in 60+ countries. More than 300,000 supply chains choose to utilize CHEP products and solutions to optimize efficiencies and eliminate waste throughout the world. CHEP’s “share and reuse” core business offering pioneered the shared and circular economies more than 50 years ago. Today, the company provides consultative solutions surrounding the efficient and sustainable movement of goods—and manages a global pool of 300 million pallets and containers shared and reused by growers, raw material suppliers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers to produce, warehouse, transport and merchandise consumer and industrial goods.
As one of four Brambles growth companies, CHEP and Brambles provide you unparalleled opportunities to advance and accelerate your career. You’ll be joining an international growth company with an advantaged business model. You’ll be working for a company that is changing the way goods get to market. You’ll optimize 300,000 supply chains instead of just one. You’ll join an efficient and collaborative team who punches above its weight. You’ll be working for the good of humanity
Location: Weatherboard, Creighton
The purpose of the position is to create a healthy and safe working environment and a functional working community; preventing work related diseases and accidents; and promoting the working ability of individuals and groups.
The Occupational Health Nurse will be responsible for the provision of health and safety programmes and services to workers and worker population at Weatherboard Sawmill. The position focuses on the promotion and restoration of health, the prevention of illness and injury and the protection from work –related and environmental hazards. The Practitioner is further required to manage disability, assess and prevent risks, provide consultation with employers and employees as well as providing worker education and training.
- Prepare and present annual objectives for the OH Clinic in line with Company’s vision, the needs of the workforce and any participated new workplace expansion.
- Planning and management of the clinic day to day, monthly & annual programmes.
- Contribute to the planning of the annual budget for operating costs and provide motivation for capital expenditure.
- Arrange maintenance and calibration of equipment
- Ensure sound record – keeping and collection of statics for monthly, annual and audit reports.
- Ensure legal compliance regarding professional registration, licence to dispense medicine and indemnity insurance.
- Develop good working relationships with management, medical professionals and service providers.
- Promote and support the ZERO HARM policies and procedures of the company.
- Analysis and interpretation of legislation relevant to the workplace to the benefit of the employer and employee.
- Knowledge of work processes and the lay-out of the factory floor by doing walk-throughs.
- Conduct a Health Risk Assessment to determine the corresponding medical surveillance programme.
- Plan and manage medical surveillance in consultation with the Occupational Health Medical Practitioner.
- Determine and make recommendations for fitness of employees at pre-employment, exit, change of work allocation and return to work. Conduct annual medicals.
- Management of referrals of work related abnormalities such as hearing loss. Liaise closely with Occupational Health Medical Practitioner, regarding any submissions of claims for an occupational disease or for a temporary or permanent disability.
- Communicate with Management any recommendations, concerns, trends to prevent the development of occupational diseases and any medical conditions which may put the safety of an employee and others at risk.
- Provide a report on the outcome of the medical surveillance programme, with comparative statics of previous findings.
Primary Health Care:
- Ensure compliance with the permit to dispense medicine criteria as laid down by the Department of Health.
- Diagnose and treat employees with acute illnesses following the guidelines of the Department of Health.
- Refer and monitor employees with chronic illnesses, working with off-site stakeholders in provision of monthly medication.
- Ensure acute record-keeping
- Procurement of medical supplies, sundries and manage medical waste collection following the correct handling and storage procedures.
- Identify any trends which could be occupational related.
- Ensure infection control and good housekeeping.
- Develop Health Promotion and Education programmes.
- Attend to and provide feedback on long term illnesses and hospitalised employees.
- Identify the need for EAP for the following health related issues; HIV, STI ,alcoholism, substance abuse, chronic diseases, psychosocial conditions, shift work, vulnerable groups, violence and executive health management.
- Follow-up any requests or reports from management of employees who are continuously absent or productivity has declined.
- Preparation of employees for retirement and referral to local hospitals for continuation of treatment if on medication.
Health & Safety:
- Contribute to emergency planning protocols and response.
- Ensure the Clinic is stocked with necessary emergency drugs and equipment.
- Provide emergency assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation management of Injury on Duty cases. Communicate with off-site service providers to track progress of cases and with on-site management until the injured employee can return to work.
- Develop a file of MSDS sheets of chemicals and substances used in the work processes to ensure the correct first aid treatment is administrated as recommended
- Contribute to Health and Safety and Wellness Committee meetings.
- Assist in up-grading and refresher courses of First-Aid staff.
- Ensure the ordering and supply of items for First-Aid boxes.
- Participate in on-going research and training in order to provide the best evidence based practice for the health care of employees.
- Conduct audit, analyse and report negative trends that have impact on business, report positive trends that need to be improved and/or sustained.
- Ensure confidentiality and only with the employee’s permission discuss or disclose any information which may cause injury or harm to themselves, others or the public.
- Work within the Scope of Practice as set down by the Nursing Council and any other relevant legislation.
- Advocate for employees and employers, striving to reach a fair balance to the benefit of the health and safety of the whole workforce.
- Maintain integrity, develop leadership in health matters and respect for all patients.
- Diploma /Degree in Nursing
- Post Graduate Diploma/Degree in Occupational Health Nursing Science
- Certificate in Audiometry
- Certificate in Spirometry (registered)
- Dispensing licence
- Certificate in Basic life support
- Relevant 3-5 experience as an OHN in a Saw-Mill environment.
- Primary Health Care with experience in disease management, counselling & health promotion
- Treatment and administration of serious injury on Duty/occupational diseases cases
Skills and Knowledge
- Microsoft office
- Working with teams or groups
- Strong work ethic
- Strong analytical skills
- Problem solver
- Ability to adapt to changing situations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi task and operate under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Self-driven and motivated
- Demonstrated leader
- Knowledge of safety policies, procedures and regulation
- High level of understanding and respect for organizational goals and objectives
- Ability to transcend personal objectives for organizational success
- English – Well developed fluency in the spoken language. Excellent writing skills.
- Zulu – Well developed fluency in the spoken language.
- Excellent writing skills.
Individuals fraudulently misrepresenting themselves as [Brambles/CHEP/IFCO] representatives have scheduled interviews and offered fraudulent employment opportunities with the intent to commit identity theft or solicit money. [Brambles/CHEP/IFCO] never conducts interviews via online chat or requests money as a term of employment. If you have a question as to the legitimacy of an interview or job offer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this position please click the "Apply for the job" button above or below