CEO - Tanzania (Forestry and Timber Products)
Location: Tanzania, United Republic of
Sector: Forestry, Sawmilling
Contract Type: Permanent
A sustainable, socially responsible forestry and timber products business with plantations in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania is seeking an experienced leader to manage its Tanzanian subsidiary.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Providing high quality leadership, direction and strategy to the Tanzanian subsidiary leading the operational management team and coordinating all activities of the subsidiaries in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Company.
- Leading the subsidiary to generate revenue in a sustainable fashion and create value for all shareholders and stakeholders. Accountable for all strategic and operational management of operations.
- Reporting to the Group CEO and Board of Directors of the subsidiary and the Group.
Quality (systems, procedures and processes)
- Leading all current and new projects to meet operational expectations
- Provide thought leadership on projects to ensure cost effective and time efficient implementation of new concepts to the business.
Quality Management, assessment and re-engineering of processes to optimise the utilisation of resources in the business
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement, accountability, efficiency, bottom line results, effective employee engagement and constant communication up and down within the organisation
- Ensure compliance with legislation and regulatory bodies is monitored
Group CEO and Board Reporting and Shareholder Management
- Continuous reporting to the CEO with weekly formal reporting in terms of all subsidiary activities
- Regular reporting on progress and activities to the Board and all shareholders
- Facilitation of all enquiries and discussions around company activity to Board members
- Management of relationships with local shareholders.
Efficiency (cost reduction & productivity; delivery)
Comprehensive management of the finances of the business including regular reporting, analysis and budget management
- Leading corporate finance strategy
- Maintain constant knowledge of all cost, financial activities, sales and operating reports
- Effective management of the finances of the business
- Support any funding efforts and maintain relationships with investors and potential investors.
- Preparation of budgets and reporting against budgets on a regular basis to either local management, EXCO or the Board.
- Ensure the adequacy and soundness of the company’s financial structure reviewing all capital expenditure requests and arrangements for additional finance-funds.
Land acquisition and Expansion of territory
- Driving land acquisition and appropriation of land resources to benefit both the business and the community
- Analyse potential M&A opportunities
People & Partnerships
Effective people management practices and performance management in operations
- Motivate, encourage, and engage the local team
- Leverage internal resources through nurturing and consistent mentoring & training
- Establish consistent and fair performance management practices
- Institute robust recruitment practices
- Ensure compliance with local labour legislation
- Develop and groom leadership talent and bench strength to position for expansion through organic growth and acquisition with a focus on developing a next generation of local/indigenous capability.
- Instil an operating culture which prioritises safety, inspires cooperation, provide employees with opportunities for growth and development.
- Managing the delegation of authority and communication lines to ensure an effective operation.
- Working closely with the Head of HR to determine promotions, salary adjustments and the management of discipline.=
Management of all critical and territory specific relationships
- Establish credibility with the local community, surrounding organisations and the wider forestry market place as an effective market leader and developer of sustainable forestry and forest product solutions in a profitable business model
- Lead sensitive relationships with government, districts and other key stakeholders
Market Penetration (margins, revenue, products)
Generation of commercial revenues through diverse revenue streams.(poles, charcoal, sawmilling, bio-fuels)
- Identify, originate and execute new business opportunities which enhance the company’s revenue lines and profitability
- Identify and exploit potential carbon resources to optimise potential revenues
- Engage in relevant marketing activities required to support the generation of commercial revenues
Profitability (work toward self-sustainability as a business)
Delivery and implementation of sound business plans to achieve business targets and objectives
- Taking ownership of the formulation and execution of the company’s business plan
- Driving the Company to achieve and surpass sales, profit, cash flow and key business goals and deliverables
- Asist with the financial modelling of the business
Desired Experience & Qualification
- A relevant University degree is essential (B.Com, B.Sc), while an advanced graduate qualification would be an advantage
- Minimum of 15 years professional experience in the agribusiness/ energy industry or related subjects; exposure to forestry processing and or sawmilling and the distribution of these products is ESSENTIAL.
- At least 7-10 years proven experience in a senior leadership role of a similar nature.
- Excellent leadership and management ability. A proven track record as a leader or manager of project teams or multi-party stakeholder processes
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written communications; sound presentation skills
- Strong marketing and sales background, covering niche sales to utility companies as well as the set-up of country-wide distribution networks
- Entrepreneurial team player, willing to contribute in multiple ways in a startup environment that presents challenges
- Strong quantitative skills, analytical, comfortable leading the organization on financial issues
- Well-developed project management skills
- In-depth commercial skills
- Strategic thinker, able to see the big picture and to operationalize the company’s strategy
- Strong integrity and ethics and firm understanding of corporate responsibility reporting
- Analytical ability to consider complex information and make an informed recommendation to the Board of Directors
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and ability to perform complex financial modeling and financial analysis, ability to successful model all commercial opportunities
- Good networker with the ability to develop and create business networks as a means to identify commercial opportunities for the company
- Sensitive to cultural differences with the ability to understand and adapt to these as a means for increasing the probability of success in negotiations
- Sound working knowledge of MS PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability to work across functionalities and divisions
- Commitment to a strong governance operating framework with uncompromising ethical values
- Ability to liaise effectively with a diverse range of corporate advisors.
- Knowledge of African and export markets
- Excellent ability to sell an opportunity and conclude the deal.
To apply for this job please click on the link above or below