Human Resources Business Partner
Location: Tanzania, United Republic of
Sector: Forestry, General
Contract Type: Permanent
Position Title: Human Resources Business Partner
Reporting to: Managing Director Indirect: Group Head of HR
Budget & Turnover: No direct budget responsibility
Nature of Operation: Guides and manages the overall provision of Human Resources Services, policies, and programmes for the Tanzania Operation.
Purpose of the position:
Responsible for originating and leading the HR practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented; high-performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity, and standards; goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce. The HR Business Partner is responsible for the development of processes and metrics that support the achievement of the organisation’s business goals. Coordinates the implementation of people-related services, policies, and programme through heads of departments; reports to the MD, and assists and advises managers about HR issues.
- All labour law related work
- All immigration related work
- Health and Safety of the workforce;
- Development of workforce;
- Development of an employee-oriented company culture, that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention and development, and high performance.
Areas covered by this Role
- Recruiting and Staffing;
- Organisational departmental planning
- Performance management and improvement systems;
- Organisation development;
- Employment and compliance to regulatory concerns regarding employees;
- Policy development and documentation;
- Employee relations;
- Country-wide committee facilitation;
- Company employee and community communications;
- Compensation and benefits administration;
- Employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health;
Key Result Areas and accountabilities:
- Implementation of HR programmes; Identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves problems;
- Develops and monitors an annual budget that includes HR services, employee recognition, sports teams and community events support, and benefit administration.
- Selects and supervises HR consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates company use of insurance brokers, pension administrators and other outside sources.
- Conducts a continuing study of all HR policies, programmes and practices in conjunction with Group and Local regulatory changes, and keeps management informed of new developments.
- Leads the development of department goals, objectives, and systems. Provides leadership for HR strategic/operational planning for the country.
- Manages the preparation and maintenance of such reports as are necessary to carry out the functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Develops and administers programmes, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
- Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Manages the development and maintenance of the HR sections of the company website, particularly recruiting, culture and company information.
- Utilises the VIP system to eliminate administrative payroll tasks.
- Coordinates all HR training programmes, and assigns the authority/responsibility of managers within those programmes. Provides necessary education and materials to managers and employees including workshops, manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
- Leads the implementation of the performance management system that includes performance development plans [PDPs] and employee development programmes.
- Implements an in-house employee training system that addresses company training needs including training needs assessment, new employee onboarding or orientation, management development, production cross-training, the measurement of training impact, and training transfers.
- Assists managers with the selection and contracting of external training programmes and consultants.
- Assists with the development of and monitors the spending of training budget per department. Maintains employee training records.
- Establishes and leads the standard recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a superior workforce.
- Interviews management and executive position candidates; serves as part of the interview team for position finalists.
- Chairs any employee selection committees or meetings.
- Formulates and recommends HR policies and objectives for the company on any topic associated with employee relations and employee rights.
- Partners with management to communicate HR policies, procedures, programmes and laws.
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation. Conducts periodic surveys to measure employee satisfaction and employee engagement.
- Coaches and trains managers in their communication, feedback, recognition, and interaction responsibilities with the employees who report to them;
- Partner with management to identify low and high performers within the departments, and across the company;
- Implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees.
- Reviews, guides, and approves management recommendations for employment terminations
- Maintains records and report statistical records concerning personnel-related data such as hires, transfer, performance appraisals, and absenteeism rates.
- Analyse statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of employee problems and develop recommendations for improvement of organisations employee policies and practices.
- Represent company at employee related hearings and investigations;
- Negotiate bargaining agreements and help interpret labour contracts.
- Conduct exit interviews to identify reasons for employee termination;
- Leads the implementation of company safety and health programmes. Monitors the tracking of OSHA-required data in conjunction with the Group SHEQ Manager;
- Reviews employees appeals through the company complaint procedure.
- Establishes the company wage and salary structure, pay policies, and oversees the variable pay systems within the company including bonuses and increases.
- Leads competitive market research in country to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Monitors all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment.
- Monitors best practices in compensation and benefits through research and up-to-date information.
- Ensures the effective management of the monthly payroll process; and addresses any variations that arise, such as overtime payments etc.;
- With the assistance of FM, obtains cost effective, employee serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings;
- Leads the development of benefit orientations and other benefits training for employees and their families;
- Recommends changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
- Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labour legal and government reporting requirements including any related to Equal Employment Opportunity, and other such acts. Maintains minimal company exposure to lawsuits.
- Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws. Approves all information submitted. Serves as the primary contact with the company employment law attorney and outside government agencies.
- Protects the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company HR policies and governmental laws and regulations. Minimises risk.
- Serves as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting, and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Implements, directs, and manages a company-wide process of organization development that addresses issues such as succession planning, workforce development, key employee retention, organization design, and change management;
- Manages employee communication and feedback through such avenues as company meetings, suggestion programmes, employee satisfaction surveys, newsletters, employee focus groups, one-on-one meetings, etc.
- Manages a process of organizational planning that evaluates company structure, job design, and workforce planning throughout the company. Evaluat4es plans and changes to plans. Makes recommendations to executive management.
- Identifies and monitors organisations’ culture so that it supports the attainment of the company’s goals and promotes employee satisfaction;
- Participates in a process of organization development to plan, communicate, and integrate the results of strategic planning throughout the organization.
- Keeps the CEO and the Manco informed of significant problems that jeopardise the achievement of company goals, and those that are not being addressed adequately at the line management level.
- The HR Manager can assume other responsibilities as assigned by the CEO and/or Group Head of HR.
Skills, Knowledge & Competencies required to perform this role:
- Sound knowledge of HR policies, processes and initiatives required to support an agribusiness and manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of Country labour laws and practices would be essential
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and monitor HR initiatives in an organization with limited financial resources for people management
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written communications; sound presentation skills and ability to present to shareholders and at country management level if required.
- Understanding of entrepreneurial business and projects to determine adequate level of HR support required
- Team player, willing to contribute in multiple ways in a startup environment that presents challenges
- Strong quantitative skills and analytical ability
- Good networker with the ability to develop relationships which would support the people strategy of the company
- Sensitive to cultural differences with the ability to understand and adapt to these as a means for increasing good working relationships and productivity
- Sound working knowledge of MS PowerPoint, and Word
- Commitment to a strong governance operating framework with uncompromising ethical values
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, mediate and reconcile labour relation matters at operational levels
- Ability to coach managers in HR practices and procedures, as well as people management skills;
Qualifications & Professional registration:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a Human Resources related field;
- Specialised training in employment law, employee relations and preventive labour relations.
Years of experience required to perform this role
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience in a role in HR in a diverse environment. Knowledge of the agribusiness or manufacturing industries would be an advantage.
Span of Control:
- Assets: LAB kit, audiometer, training equipment
Key Stakeholders & level of people interacting with:
- Managing Director
- Management Committee
- Group Head of HR
- Relevant Government and Private Industry stakeholders
- Country team
- Low risk – no direct budget control. Yet poor decisions could lead to great financial losses.
Decisions the position holder should take independently
- Day to day influence on people decisions
Decisions that the position holder will take with assistance from their line manager
- Advice will be given towards decisions taken by the Country Management, CEO
Risk associated with this position
- High. Potential litigation, claims, inadequate resourcing.
To apply for this job please click on the link above or below