Qualifications: B-Tech - Forestry
Annual Package Range: USD 0.00 - 150 000, per annum
Total Years Experience: 16 to 20 years
Home and other languages: Other, English
Ethnicity: African / Black
Online Interview Questions
Current / most recent job title?
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
Development of plantations for sustainable supply of fuel wood material for tobacco production. Driven by the tobacco grower base and million kilograms of tobacco target, Annual plan of operation is set for the development of woodlot across the agronomy areas. Market driven with requirements to show case on sustainable production of tobacco.
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
- Designing program framework as key to achieving main goal.
- Training of growers assisting them in setting up nurseries, land preparation and planting of individual woodlots.
- Contracting out business on nurseries, land preparation, planting and tending activities for commercial and block forest establishments.
- Coordination of (STP) Sustainable Tobacco Programs enhancing sustainable production process.
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
- Experienced forester with extensive expertise in commercial timber plantations management. Have been attached to forestry planning, Silviculture and Timber harvesting operations.
- Strengths & Specialties: Forestry strategic, tactical & annual business planning; Labor, contractor & concession management; Fire protection and Environmental management for FSC certified forests.
16 to 20 years4. Ideal business title:
- Head of Sustainability Projects
- Forestry Manager
- General Manager forestry
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
- Forestry business planning for strategic, medium and annual operations.
- Stakeholder consultation for sustainable development.
- Team building and coaching for efficiency purposes.
- Coordination, Monitoring and Control of plans and budgets.
6. Skill area of competence:
- Decision making
- Planning, coordination & Organizing Skills
- Leadership, Mentoring, Coaching Skills
- Forest Management
- Nursery Management
- Silviculture Management
- Timber Harvesting
- Charcoal Production
- Budgeting and Control
- Human Resource Management
- Stakeholder & Community Management
- Forest Certification
7. Career summary:
15 years plus on forestry management/ projects.
- Developed models with communities/institutes that sustain fuel wood supply for tobacco production. Schools, communities and Block forest projects are yielding results on woodlot development.
- Successfully established woodlots with Farmer Development Trust, Peterhouse and other institutes as partners for woodlot establishments across the country.
- Pioneered outsourcing of harvesting operations that reduced production cost from $16 to $12 per m3.
- Reduced cost of seedling production by 60% from USD$ 0.11 to USD $0.04 per seedling at estate Nurseries.
- Reduced forest damage per single fire from 5ha to 1 ha on average at Charter Estates from 2011 to 2013.
- Improved stakeholder & community relationships for sustainable plantation development at Charter Estate.
- Participated on formulation of SAZ -National standards on Sustainable Forestry Management.
- Produced SOPs/ manuals of forestry operations at both Border Timbers & The Wattle Co.
- Maintained accurate forestry database in Micro-forest program for planning & decision-making
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
- Development of SOPs that will help teams to achieve set objectives.
- Team building and coaching that will assist to work smart.
- Meeting set targets and recognition a asset within organisational structures.
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
- Profit making organisation with business ethics policies.
- Company with respect to customers, stakeholders and its employee.
- Environmentally sensitive and certified management systems.