Annual Package Range: USD 0.00 - 150 000, per annum
Total Years Experience: 6 to 10 years
Home and other languages:
Ethnicity: African / Black
Senior Nursery Manager
Online Interview Questions
Current / most recent job title?
Senior Nursery Manager
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
Propagation and cultivation of the tree seedlings/clones required to fulfill the company’s annual planting program of 1,500 Ha, development of the clonal propagation program, using imported and locally sourced and tested clonal material. Bulking out of good performers in hedges with the objective of being 50 % clonal on 1,500 ha per annum by 2020, management and maintenance of the company’s nursery infrastructure, including the irrigation system and stores, proper record keeping, updating and reporting to the Tree Breeding Manager, take primary responsibility, working with the General Manager and R&D Manager, for ordering seeds and any clonal material required from identified and agreed international sources, propagate seedlings/clones from seeds and cuttings of Eucalyptus, Corymbia, Gmelina, Acacia, Albizia, Tectona and other species as required, propagate clonal hedges and bulk out to deliver agreed quantities of clonal material to the field, propagate seedling materials for research trials for nursery as well as for field trials, take responsibility for ordering consumables (such as fertilizers) and maintaining sufficient stocks so as to allow the smooth operation of the nursery to high quality. Likewise take responsibility for arranging agreed nursery infrastructure development, manage and train the nursery team building high levels of morale and take primary responsibility for recruitment and any disciplinary hearings necessary, maintain proper records of seedlings / clones produced, germination statistics, water consumption, staff attendance and other records necessary to be able to assess the efficiency of the nursery which is run as a cost center, actively involved in working towards Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) certification, IFS-PS, ILO, ISO and Health and Safety initiatives.
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
- Viable seeds with good germination percentages
- Modern greenhouse with cooling pads
- Retention of the skilled casual workers I have trained
- Cocopeat pre-treatment to reduce fungal infection
- Water filtration
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
- Raised sufficient quantity of seedlings and clones in time
- Recycled cocopeat to sow and transplant big seeds such Gmelina arborea, Acacia managium, Tectona grandis.
- Maintained good workers/management relation
- Ensure high discipline/moral among workers.
4. Ideal business title:
- Silvicultural Forester
- Research and Development
- Nursery Management
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
- Establishment and management of forest or plantation
- Development and bulking of new clonal materials, making recommendations for nutrition, best silvicultural operation
- Establishment and management of state of art modern nursery.
6. Skill area of competence:
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with people of multicultural backgrounds, emotional stability and capacity to cope with stress gained as a result of interacting with members of different communities.
- Ability to develop and management commercial clones
- Conversant with the various tree improvement vegetative-technologies, Research and report / proposal writing skills, Ability to analyze and interpret data, Plantation establishment and management including all the silvicultural regimes.
- Conversant with MS word, MS Excel, MS Power point, Microsoft Office Picture Manager, Internet usage
7. Career summary:
- Forestry – 5 years ++
- R and D – 5 years +
- Nursery Management – 5 year ++
- Silviculture – 3 years +++
- Commercial Clonal Nursery Management – 5 years
8. What do you absolutely love doing?
The Right Person for the Right Job, Motivating Individual Excellence and Fulfillment, Developing Leaders, Team Building and Organizational Accountability
9. Ideal company (culture and values):
Diversified and multicultural, non segregation, financially stable, old in the forestry business with transparency, integrity and excellence.