Qualifications: Honours and N.Dip - Forestry
Annual Package Range: R 751 000 - 850 000, per annum
Total Years Experience: More than 30 years
Home and other languages: English, Afrikaans, IsiZulu, German
Snr Specialist: GIS / Remote Sensing
Online Interview Questions
Current / most recent job title?
Snr Specialist: GIS/Remote Sensing
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
Extract relevant management/planning information through the application of spatial technologies to enable sound business decisions to be made.
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
- Identify, source and quality control appropriate spatial data to meet the project objective.
- Apply appropriate spatial analysis techniques to develop, verify and produce the required results.
- Review the results and adapt to different planning/perceived scenarios
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
A discipline specialist who enjoys working within a multi-disciplinary team environment, where I can bring my skills in working with spatial data to allow the bigger picture to be seen, as well as relevant details. This is particularly the case where the context is a forestry/agriculture /natural resource environment.
4. Ideal business title:
GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
- Develop/apply appropriate spatial technologies to meet business objectives
- Develop staff to manage these technologies effectively
6. Skill area of competence:
- GIS Management; Training/Mentoring of GIS staff
- GIS Database design/implementation
- GIS systems design/implementation (including enterprise level)
- GIS data analysis
- Remote Sensing data processing and analysis (optical; Lidar; Radar system)
- Forest Planning – Yield Regulation; Site/Species Matching; Inventory
7. Career summary:
- Forest Management – 10 years
- Forest Research – 2 Years
- Forest Planning – 3 Years
- GIS/Remote Sensing applications in Forestry: 20 Years
- GIS/Remote Sensing Consulting – 3 years
I introduced Remote Sensing technologies (Optical and Lidar) into the company I worked for, which became part of the operational functions in managing the company, particularly from a monitoring/verification aspect. I also introduced web-based information delivery services using GIS and related non-spatial data to assist foresters in their daily planning and management tasks
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
Applying GIS/Remote Sensing technologies within a multi-disciplinary team
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
One that is not hierarchical (i.e. flat structure); values the individual contribution and allows that to develop for the benefit of the whole team. Minimal corporate politics!