Nationality: South African
Annual Package Range: ZAR 351 000 - 450 000, per annum
Total Years Experience: 20 to 30 years
Home and other languages: English, Afrikaans, IsiZulu, Sesotho, SiSwati, Xitsonga
Wet Mill / Saw Shop Manager
Online Interview Questions
Current / most recent job title?
Wet Mill Manager
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
- Planning and organizing log stock according to the sawmills demand
- Setting up cutting patterns
- Planning and organizing training for subordinates
- Maintaining good housekeeping standards
- Ensure good health and safety standards are met
- Report breakdowns and plan preventative maintenance with maintenance team
- Manage overtime according to budget
- Maintain quality standards
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
- Correct log mix and log stock
- Correct cutting patterns
- Machines in good working order
- Start up on time
- Reach my daily target in normal working hours
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
I am a very dedicated and open minded person with more than 20 years of experience in the saw milling industry. Fifteen in the saw shop and seven in the wet mill. Firm, sticky and fair. Challenge driven, self motivated and can work with and without supervision. Always willing to learn and take on any challenge to reach my goals and the company’s goals and vision. Multilingual and work well on my own and within a team.
4. Ideal business title:
- Saw Doctor, Saw Shop Superintendent.
- Wet Mill Manager, Wet Mill Foreman, Wet Mill Superintendent, Wet Mill Supervisor.
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
- Managing the saw shop or wet mill.
- Share ideas and experience that I have learned over the years.
6. Skill area of competence:
- Active management behavior
- Problem resolution effectiveness
- Supervisory/management skills
7. Career summary:
- 10 year saw shop: 6 years Supervisor, 5 Assistant Saw Doctor.
- 5.6 years wet mill: 5 years Foreman, 6 months manager.
- Arranging the logs in the logyard according to the cutting patterns in the wetmill to maintain longer cuts without changing cutting patterns
- Maintain cutting speeds to achieve daily targets
- Minimizing breakdowns by doing preventative maintenance
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
Bringing positive change to the company and employees. Bringing in new ideas and making the job easy for myself and fellow employees by solving problems.
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
A company that values its employees and gives them room to grow.
Listening and taking ideas from employees at all levels.