Qualifications: N.Dip - Forestry
Annual Package Range: R 351 000 - 450 000, per annum
Total Years Experience: 11 to 15 years
Home and other languages: Other, English, IsiZulu
Ethnicity: African / Black
Wetmill Manager (Forestry)
Online Interview Questions
Current / most recent job title?
1. Primary purpose of current/most recent position:
To manage the human resources and machines to produce and dry rough sawn timber of the right quality and quantity in a safe environment at the lowest possible cost.
2. Core elements or functions that must operate effectively in order to achieve primary purpose:
- Planning the cutting schedule in accordance to the customer needs and the size of logs available.
- Coordinating and controlling all the resources in order to produce rough sawn timber at a good recovery.
- Training employees to meet production and quality standards.
- Analysing daily downtime, identifying improvements and liaising with the maintenance team to facilitate preventive maintenance thereby reducing the down time.
3. Description of self, along with greater purpose and passions:
A timber professional with a National Diploma in Forestry and eleven years of work experience in sawmilling and timber harvesting. Excellent with general management, works well under pressure and fits well in team set-ups. Currently looking for a wetmill managerial opportunity to fully utilize my training and skills, while making a significant contribution to the success of the company.
4. Ideal business title:
- Wetmill Manager
- Wetmill Superintendent
- Wetmill Foreman
- Wetmill Supervisor
5. Key responsibilities and accountabilities of ideal position:
- Log intake planning and coordination with harvesting management.
- Sorting planning and designing of cutting patterns.
- Raw lumber processing and achieving a good recovery.
- Managing the green chain, boilers and kilns to get the best quality of dried timber.
- Coach employees to meet safety, quality and production standard requirements.
- Analyse daily downtime & identify improvements and liaising with the maintenance team to facilitate preventive maintenance.
6. Skill area of competence:
- Forward planning and strategic thinking
- Interpersonal skills
- Well developed communication and motivational skills
- Problems solving and decision making
- Commercial awareness
- Organisation and delegation.
7. Career summary:
- 5 years forestry: harvesting – 5 years
- 6 years sawmilling: wetmill & kilns – 6 years
- Surpassed production targets at Patula Sawmills in 2015 thereby reducing variable costs by 45% as a result of eliminating another shift and focusing on cutting with a single shift.
- Successfully used three wheeled bell loggers to sort log thereby saving Patula Sawmills R500,000 to buy a lot sorting chain.
- Implemented a fuel monitering system at Faranani Harvesting Contractors in 2009 and saved R2500 from fuel theft.
9. What do you absolutely love doing?
- Solving complex problem
- Creative development
10. Ideal company (culture and values):
- Continuous Learning
- Constant Improvement